Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

… show me the money!

Welcome back gentle readers. I became inspired to continue with this blog after watching “Julie and Julia” last night. Better late than never, right? Okay, I have been talking to you about spending wisely. However, in order to spend money you have to have money. Back in my younger days we referred to being broke as “eating ice”. I’m talking about being broke, busted and totally disgusted. I remember my breaking point as the day I lost my mind over a jar of salad dressing. My family gave me an economy size jar one Christmas as a joking reminder of my insanity. At the time I was in deep despair over my inability to purchase the name brand of my choice. It was then that I realized that despite my best efforts and intentions, my financial life was out of balance. So I started to focus on what I had coming in the front door. In order to change my circumstances I had to change my market value as an employee. It is not enough in these times to be a hard worker. You need to bring something to the employer that makes you stand out above the rest. If it means going back to school or learning a new skill then you should do that. But you should not do it on any one's terms but your own. Do not let some fast talking salesperson or representative give you the speech about hurry up or it will be too late. It is never too late as long as you have breath in your body. When you stop breathing, guess what, at that point none of it matters. Reinventing yourself is not only about getting a better education. Sometimes the easiest and most cost effective way to change is to simply change your attitude. Believe it or not, putting on a smile and presenting a positive outlook can reap huge results. People have often told me that I am lucky. I was riding down the street on day and saw these words posted on the side of a building “Luck is being prepared for opportunity”. I didn’t create that statement but it really resonates in my soul. Over the years I have constantly prepared myself for better opportunities. I didn’t want to sacrifice time with my child so when she was young I did self study computer based training (CBT) during my lunch break at work. If your job offers free training take it! Knowledge is power and has the power to transform and move you into a higher paying job. Another tidbit is to find your passion and the money will follow. I would rather work a job that pays less but gives me self satisfaction than one that pays an enormous salary that I don’t enjoy. I am speaking from experience here so pay attention. Much of what I am saying to you can be found in any self help book on the shelf. But, just like a cookbook if you don’t try it then it’s just a recipe. I have cooked in the game called life and I can tell you quite honestly that these little tidbits work. If you want to change your circumstance today, just stop and ask yourself what can I do at this very moment to make my life better tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment